Monday, December 16, 2013

Poem - The Fight Before Christmas

I thought you might enjoy reading a poem I wrote for Christmas last year. I hope you like it.


The Fight Before Christmas
‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
The tension was bad as I fought with my spouse.
The stockings were hung, and the presents were there.
The tree lights were shining, but I didn’t care.
 
She had said something that had made me mad,
Unless she said “I’m sorry” this fight would be bad.
The children were hiding upstairs in their beds,
While loud angry voices whirled ‘round in their heads.
 
She had been wrong and I knew that she knew it
This fight would go on until she said she blew it.
My wife went upstairs, brushed her teeth and her hair.
I decided I’d sleep in my reclining chair.
 
My eyelids were closed but my mind wouldn’t rest.
The anger sat there like a brick on my chest.
When all of a sudden, from somewhere outside
I heard such a wail you’d think something had died.
 
I jumped from my chair and my feet hit the floor,
I stomped through the house and threw open the door.
The moonlight reflected on new fallen snow
As my eyes became focused on objects below.
 
And there on the walk, surely up to no good,
Stood eight tiny snot nosed brats from the hood.
They were all bundled up, their eyes full of glee
As they sang Christmas carols, mostly off key.
 
Two were dressed up like Joseph and Mary,
In the girl’s arms, a wee doll she did carry.
They sang Silent Night, and Away in a Manger.
They had not a clue of my justified anger.
 
I started to scold them and send them away.
Who could have joy on this horrible day?
But just as I opened my mouth to implore
That they take their miserable singing next door.

 
 
A small voice said, “Mister, do you know the reason
That we celebrate during this Christmas season”?
My head dropped in shame, I said, “Tell me about it”.
He replied, “When you hear it, you never will doubt it.
 
Did you know that Jesus came down from above
To live among us with a heart full of love?
He left all His riches to live here on to earth
And started this life with a poor, lowly birth.
 
He came down to us because we had been bad.
He didn’t place blame, it just made Him real sad.
He died on a cross where we should have died.
The people who loved Him were sad, and they cried.
 
He rose up again and to heaven He flew
And we can all go there to live with Him too.”
He said “Merry Christmas”, as they walked away.
Their singing was precious, I wished they could stay.
 
I suddenly realized that I had been wrong,
And this fight with my family had stolen my song.
My anger had drowned out the sweet Christmas spirit.
The song was still there, but I couldn’t hear it.
 
I knew that I had to make up with my wife,
To tell her “I’m sorry” and stop all this strife.
So I climbed up the stairs and I swallowed my pride,
I gathered my wife and my kids to my side.
 
As I asked for forgiveness and started to weep,
My wife said, “I love you, now let’s get some sleep.”  
We’re all settled down for a nice winter’s rest.
I think of my family, and realize I am blessed.
 
My children are sleeping all snug in their beds,
While memories of Christmas songs float in their heads.
‘Tis the night before Christmas and everything’s good
Because of eight twinkle eyed kids from the hood.
 
Janice Austin Bates
December 2, 2011 11:26pm

No comments: