Monday, November 4, 2013

Writer's Block


All day today I have been trying to decide what to write about on my blog. I have thought about everything from my cat to my kidney stone, the seventy five needles they stuck in me today testing me for allergies, or yesterday’s solar eclipse. Nothing inspired me. I hate it when every subject hits a brick wall. Writer’s block is really frustrating.

So, here I sat, unable to think of anything that anyone might be interested in reading about. Even worse, I couldn’t think of anything that I would want to read about. Now that is really writer’s block.

Writer’s block, AARGH! Why couldn’t I get past it? Then it hit me. That was what I needed to write about. Every writer has it at times. It doesn’t mean you are not talented, or that you don’t have a gift for writing. It simply means you are human.

So what do you do when your creative mind is a blank?

Praying is good. There has been many a time that I prayed for God to help me write and suddenly everything started falling into place.

Another thing I do is to just start writing, even if it is boring and uninspired. I write a little bit and then I stop and read it out loud. When I actually hear what I have written it seems to come alive. First thing I know I hear something that catches my attention. Before long, the creative juices start flowing and I find myself back on track. When that happens I go back and delete all of the boring stuff and keep what I like. That is one of the nice things about computers. They are very forgiving and will delete anything you ask them to.  

Remember that every writer has a voice inside of them that wants to get out. Sometimes it just seems to have laryngitis. When you physically lose your voice you don’t give up. You still keep talking, even if it is just a whisper. It always comes back.

When your creativity seems to lose its voice, just keep writing anyway. It will come back. It always does.

Please feel free to leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog of your own, please include your blog address in your comment. I would love to visit your blog too.

No comments: