Friday, October 11, 2013

Finding a team of experts


Today I thought I would tell you how I ended up with the experts who helped me put my book together. When you publish a book, the people you find to help you can make you or break you, especially when you are a novice.

When I was writing my book I would pray before I started writing each time for God to help me write the story of creation correctly so that children would enjoy the story, and so that they would really understand it.

I would also look on line for an illustrator. There are a lot to pick from. When I would find one that I liked for my particular book I would send them an email requesting that they send me a price list. Each one I contacted did send me their prices and I was always horrified. They were always $1,000 per picture. I needed 17 pictures so I couldn’t possibly afford them.

Finally one day I realized that even though I was constantly praying about the writing, I had never prayed and asked God to help me find the right illustrator. I immediately stopped and prayed about it. Then I  started looking again. A day or two later I found another illustrator I liked and sent the usual email. Once again I got the same email back with $1,000 prices. However, this time, (in answer to my prayer I am sure) she also sent me a note telling me that she was the same as all of the other illustrators I had contacted with the $1,000 prices. She explained that the reason was that they all work for the publishers, and they can afford them. People like me who were self-publishing cannot afford them. She suggested that I check out a website called Picture Kitchen Studio. I loved the pictures and contacted the illustrator. Her name is Kim Sponaugle and it turned out that she is a wonderful Christian. Her prices were a fraction of the other prices. She was incredibly nice and helpful. She did all my pictures and they turned out fantastic.

Kim got me lined up with an editor named Pam Halter (also a wonderful Christian). She has written children’s books for about 25 years or more. She also was very helpful and great to work with. When she sent back my edited book I was horrified at all the things she told me to take out or change. I cried my eyes out. For the next 6 months, every time I tried to start making changes I would start sobbing and put it away. Finally my husband, Ray, told me that since we had already paid for the publishing I had to finish the book. I knew he was right, so I started making the changes she suggested and resenting her with every delete and change I made. When I was finished I re-read my book and was amazed at how much better it was. I guess she knew what she was talking about after all.

I had already contracted with a publisher. They charged my $3,000 and told me they would make my book a paperback and price it at $7.95. When I contacted them and said I was ready to publish they told me I was mistaken about the price. They told me that they were going to have to price it at $24.95. I told them that no one would buy a 40 page children’s paperback for that price. They said that was what they were going to price it at anyway. They wouldn’t budge. Since it had been just over a year since I had signed the contract they would not refund my money either.

I cried and prayed. Then I contacted Kim. She agreed that no one would buy it. She told me to call a lady named Lisa Umina at Halo Publishing.  Just like Kim and Pam, Lisa was also a wonderful Christian. She took me under her wing, guided me through the process and ended up making my book a hardback with a jacket. Then she priced it at $17.95. It turned out beautiful.

There were a lot of laughs and tears but I am thrilled with what I ended up with.

I learned a lot of lessons, but none more important than understanding how critical it is that I pray about everything in the whole journey. What an experience this has been. I can't wait to do it all again with the next book.

No comments: